Monday, April 22, 2013

Japanese, Unagi @ 台北, 中山區, 鰻料理京都屋

Name:  鰻料理京都屋 aka "The eel dishes Kyoto house", thanks google translate!!
What: EEL DISHES, KYOTO HOUSE STYLE (obviously)
MRT: Zhongshan 中山
Address: 台北市中山區天津街41號, map info hours
Rating: ☆☆☆
Recommend?: Yes, but only if I was craving non-standard unagi-dons (see pictures) or if I didn't feel like waiting for the below joint...
Similar: 肥前屋, probably the most popular unagi joint in Taipei (correct me if I'm wrong).  Go at odd hours or expect a line.
Cost: $$$.  Just under 2000 NT for 3 people, and it was on the indulgent side
Reservations: NO

We went during a rainy day on a Saturday, and arrived just after 7pm.  I don't know if it was the rain or because it's just not as popular as 肥前屋, which is also in the same neighborhood, but it was half empty when we got there.  Oh well, no line, sweet!
We ordered the Arashiyama 嵐山 1500NT set, and added a large unagidon on top.  That was a good amount of food.  I didn't take pictures of the miso soup and the vinegar seaweed/kelp side dish.  By the time we were done, the place was full and a very small line had formed.

More after the jump

Storefront.  There was a guy outside hawking
Dashimaki with unagi.  Texture great, flavor only okay.

Burdock-wrapped unagi.  Or is it unagi-wrapped burdock?? Engrishllshshshshelpppp

Triple threat appetizer set.  Ika with ...dyed tobiko (?), wakame salad, this tako wasabi-greens thingy that I've only had here and me likey

Duck salad, whatever
Side of tempura, above average
Set came with a side of unagi
The unagi-egg-don that came with the set.  Sick classic steamer box
Voila
A look at the layers
The extra order of unagi-don.  Mom took a piece hungryyyyy

Chawanmushi at the end.  Not really a fan of these, but mom said it was a pretty good one


Well, that concludes my first review.  Overall, left satisfied.  I liked that they have different types of unagi-dons, where was 肥前屋 has only the basic unagi-don but more variety of Japanese foods.  I probably wouldn't get the set again as I only really enjoyed about half of the items.  I'd definitely go back to try the different unagi-dons, or even just to have the egg one again.  Guess I should take better not of food names for the future...or just continue to make shit up.

And now that I've finished this, I have to wonder if I'm going to continue to this shit.  Haha, we shall see.  I predict I start becoming less helpful with all the information at the start of a post.

And of course...
What's YOUR favorite type of unagidon??? 

and 90's reference finisher:
Ahh...unagi...salmon-skin roll...





No comments:

Post a Comment